Camera Stability Issues

   Decisions on how to film each shot are difficult to make. I realized when doing my research that each type of shot can really set the mood and focus on the part of the story you want to convey. While doing my story board to prepare for the film, I discovered vast limitations on what it is possible to shoot. I was inclined to make a cool action sequence for the start of the movie with the camera speeding up and slowing down to track various objects. But there were several limitations that I had to realize before jumping in on that vision.

    I found a flaws in my action sequence idea for several reasons.   First the camera would have to move extremely quickly and this would cause motion blur. If I had a bigger movie budget, I would try a stabilizer stick for an iPhone or a Film Rig Pro for Smartphones. It is a smaller version but the same concept of what the movie productions use for the cinema cameras. This equipment is really necessary for a professional looking movie because it reduces motion and stabilizes the camera. The camera can jiggle even from the camera operator breathing. I tested the camera stability without this equipment when I thought it might happen while still in the process of storyboarding just a few minutes ago, but it was very blurry and jumbled.

    Secondly, it would take great skill to track the objects accurately through the air. Something I also tested. A camera with faster shutter speed would help with the blur from tracking moving objects. A small rig cage for an iPhone may help with the stability and tracking but the shutter speed and focal length on iPhone is automatic. I do not see how I can manually adjust this to modify the result of the action shots.

    This gives me the reasonable idea that I am going to have to be some-what conservative with my shots. I have planned many shots so the camera is still and the action is happening around it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story Responses

Storyboard Practice

Spaceship Crash Change